Product and Brand Marketingin Bloomington, Minnesota (MN)
Dairy Queen has an opening for a Director, Product & Brand Marketing located at Dairy Queen corporate offices in Bloomington, MN. The Director, Product & Brand Marketing provides strategic leadership for a portfolio of Dairy Queen and Orange Julius product lines, in the area of Treats or Food. Oversees the direction and management of multiple products, product lines, or strategic pillars (for example, lunch or health). Responsible for the development of short and long-term strategic planning for designated aspects of a product category including product positioning. As a member of the marketing management team leads the development of and ensures the execution of the annual calendar and business plans. Brings product growth strategy to life through menu development and execution including the product offering, pricing positioning, and promotional recommendations leading to continued sales growth and customer satisfaction. Leads and effectively communicates to cross-functional product teams. Manages multiple marketing staff roles, ensuring the team is executing effectively against marketing plans, tests, and launch activities. Creates strong presentations, synthesizing information from various sources, and creating persuasive presentations that move projects and drives results.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Successfully manages a portfolio of products. Accountable for multiple project outcomes and quality, sales growth of products, product lines, or strategies under their responsibility, hold others accountable. Manages multiple products, product lines, or strategic pillars (for example, lunch or health). The level of competence and efficiency in completing this work compared to a Manager or Senior Manager is expected to be significantly greater; in addition, the Director is responsible for ensuring that the managers reporting to the Director are executing against their personal projects in a competent and timely manner.
- Leads development and execution of annual business plans.
- Creates linkage between brand strategy and product strategy ensuring a robust product pipeline to fuel marketing calendars and strengthen brand positioning.
- Leads and effectively communicates to cross-functional product teams, gaining alignment and using project management skills, including timeline development and timeline management tracking for all product-related projects. Utilizes pipeline meetings to keep the broader cross-functional team informed of project status and changes in a timely and accurate manner.
- Leads creative reviews before and after photo shoots with the Brand and Creative Services team.
- Oversees the execution of marketing plans, tests, and launch activities. Manages and oversees product launches.
- Ensures the timely completion of required internal briefing documents, including project initiation forms for R&D, weekly status reports, and creative assignment forms (POP and advertising).
- Maintains timely and accurate communication to the Field Marketing teams as related to product tests and launches – utilizing pipeline meetings, conference calls, and various meetings (Operations team, Franchisee Advisory Council, etc.).
- Creates and maintains a weekly tracking list of product pipeline issues, decisions, and next steps.
Brand Strategy and Plan Development
- Responsible for the evolution of specific product/brand lines, providing recommendations on product direction and features for strategic planning.
- Demonstrates strong strategic vision, assisting the VP and EVP with the development of short and long-term strategic planning for designated aspects of a product category. Typical product planning and research timelines range from 6 months to 2 years.
- Product Positioning: Leads with independent ideas and strategies on how to position a product to market, taking into account how the product will “fit” into consumers’ lives, what makes it consumer-worthy, why the product is better and different. This product positioning is critical to inform the creative marketing team for their later development of strong creative pieces, such as advertising and POP.
- Articulates the “voice of the consumer” into product and marketing opportunities by reviewing market trends, available secondary research, sales, and competitive analysis, and validate ideas through online screeners, focus groups, and other primary research.
- Utilizes learnings gained through consumer research to develop menu strategies and execute menu plans.
- Establishes, manages, and ensures two-way communication between Brand Marketing and franchisee leadership councils. Presents product information to franchisee councils.
- Independently creates strong presentations for both internal DQ management and franchisee audiences, synthesizing information from various sources, building a strategic case for a proposed product direction, and creating persuasive presentations that move projects forward.
- Coaches direct reports to create powerful and effective presentations.
- Leads and facilitates Franchisee meetings and conference calls. Presents information to Franchisee Councils.
- Assists team in various ways during Franchisee Advisory Council Meetings, Leadership, and Expo meetings.
Management of Product Marketing professionals
- Continuously coaches and advises assigned product marketing managers in the execution of the responsibilities.
- In consultation with the VP of Brand Marketing, hire competent, high-performance staff with skills that are relevant to the needs of the business. Conduct onboarding and training for new staff. Establish clear direction and performance expectations; monitors progress and results on an ongoing basis.
- Recognize contributions on an ongoing basis; celebrate individual and team accomplishments.
- Create focus on the right priorities, eliminate roadblocks, and provide solutions to day-to-day problems for staff.
- Demonstrated cross-functional project management skills, required.
- Leadership and Influencing Skills: Demonstrated strength at persuading, influencing, and exercising leadership cross-functionally, to drive decisions and project plans. Demonstrated ability to independently and effectively lead brainstorming sessions, with little support needed from the more senior marketing management.
- Coaching and Mentoring Skills: Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor more junior-level marketing staff in the effective execution of their job duties.
- Strategic Marketing Leadership: Demonstrated ability to develop strategies for achieving business goals, to translate business strategies into clear objectives and tactics, and to proactively anticipate future trends or problems, their potential impact, and how to address them with relevant strategies.
- Creative thinker with a track record of developing marketing-related innovative ideas.
- Ability to be a team leader and facilitate brainstorming sessions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong presentation writing skills, demonstrating an ability to understand the unique information needs of the audience, and strategically frame up a focused and impactful message. Strong in-person presentation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to create and successfully drive project plans, multi-task, and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within an intense, deadline-driven environment.
- Well organized with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Ability to work quickly in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment. Ability to coordinate with other departments Concept Support Services, Operations, Legal to complete projects on time.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with the Restaurant Industry, and of restaurant operations.
- Intermediate math skills, including percentages and cost of goods.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Marketing or related field, or equivalent combination of work experience and education. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years prior Food/Treat/Retail Marketing experience, required.
- Experience managing marketing staff preferred.
- Experience working within a franchisor organization, preferably a QSR brand, preferred.
- Job Type Full Time
- Job Location 3701 W Old Shakopee Rd Ste 50, Bloomington, MN 55431
- Category Advertising & Marketing
- Posted 1 month ago