NABIS Forensic Technical Leadin Birmingham, West Midlands
National Ballistics Intelligence Service (NABIS)
The National Ballistics Intelligence Service (NABIS) was created as a key component in the UKs strategy to reduce firearms criminality. West Midlands Police mission is to provide a national centre of excellence for forensic science, intelligence and knowledge around the use, supply, distribution and manufacture of illegal firearms and ammunition. NABIS continues to support UK Law Enforcement at a local, regional and national level as well as offering support internationally through engagement with key European law enforcement agencies and beyond.
NABIS is currently in year two of a five-year strategy, and over the next three years NABIS has committed to an ambitious programme of transformation to improve West Midlands Police effectiveness and efficiency so that there can be an improvement to West Midlands Police services and an increase in West Midlands Police Value for Money for those West Midlands Police serve.
A number of exciting opportunities are now available to join NABIS, so if you are a Forensic Ballistics Professional who wants to join a progressive organisation then please visit West Midlands Police website and review the posts that are available, with more becoming available over the next few weeks.
As a highly skilled Ballistics Expert you will be responsible for the provision of technical advice for all aspects of forensic Ballistics examination across the NABIS hubs, you will be responsible for developing National proficiency and competency tests for NABIS, Police Scotland, Police Service Northern Ireland and the MPS and provide technical expertise and guidance in line with ISO 17025 and the FSR Codes of Conduct and Practice.
This role is accountable for the performance of the NABIS Hub Managers, ensuring that service level agreements are met whilst delivering a high quality of service to West Midlands Police customers you will be required to carry out and/or support Technical audits in conjunction with the Hub Managers, Quality & Policy Manager and Technical Development Expert as agreed through Forensic governance
Finally, in support of West Midlands Police National and International work this role has the opportunity to travel to provide forensic examination advice to Law Enforcement Agencies, national working groups and operationally to Senior Investigation leads, so the ability to negotiate and influence whilst building and maintaining relationships with colleagues is essential
- Responsible for the provision of technical advice for all aspects of forensic Ballistics examination at the NABIS hubs.
- To ensure that the forensic hubs fully support contribute and comply with quality processes in line with ISO17025 and the FSR Codes of Conduct and Practice
- Participate in National NABIS meetings and support any International NABIS requirements, including local and National governance.
- Responsible for the development delivery and review of training programmes for NABIS forensic staff to support career pathways and ensure staff have the training for their role.
- Responsible for developing National proficiency and competency tests for NABIS, PSA, PSNI and the MPS forensic ballistic services
- Accountable for the performance of the NABIS Hub Managers, and that service delivery and service level agreements are met
- Ensure the development of NABIS forensic policies and processes are supported in line with ISO17025 ensuring continuous improvement is a key component in any changes
- To provide forensic examination advice to National and International law enforcement agencies, national working groups and operationally to Senior Investigation leads, informing firearms intelligence products.
- Ensure Professional competence as a Ballistics Expert is maintained, in accordance with the Ballistics Expert Job Description, through a caseload in line with ISO17025 requirements.
- Carry out and/or support Technical audits in conjunction with the Hub Managers, Quality & Policy Manager and Technical Development Expert as agreed through Forensic governance
- To ensure safe working practices within the NABIS Hub, taking into consideration firearms legislation and Health and Safety guidelines.
- Attend court in the capacity of a Ballistics Expert and present evidence as required.
- Required to keep up to date and monitor the firearms industry to anticipate crime trends and to monitor criminal firearms use for national policy recommendations.
- Continually develop forensic best practice in the NABIS services and liaise with firearm experts from forces, other agencies and defence experts as required. Keep up-to-date on technical developments by attending meetings, seminars, exhibitions (both in the UK and abroad) and reading technical/trade journals
- Participate in stakeholder liaison meetings with customers, suppliers and national sponsors and deliver firearms lectures and training sessions for investigators, intelligence staff and junior staff
- There is an essential requirement for maintaining the highest levels of personal, business and scientific integrity.
- Responsible for ensuring that NABIS are fully prepared for any UKAS assessments to ensure that ISO accreditation is maintained
- To carry out such other duties which are commensurate with the nature, responsibilities and grading of the post.
Skills and Competencies:
- Educated to degree level in a research-based subject
- A strong communicator with excellent presentation and negotiation skills, with the ability to build, maintain and influence relationships at a strategic level
- Skilled at Problem Solving
- Qualified as a Forensic Ballistics Expert with extensive knowledge of firearms and ammunition with extensive experience in the role of Ballistics Expert
- Ability to meet demanding deadlines and performance targets whilst remaining flexible and responsive to changing operational circumstances
- Experience of managing a technical laboratory-based team
- Experience in providing technical support to firearm related units
- Experience of conducting Technical audits within a Ballistic environment
- Completed a recognised ‘Expert witness course’ in firearms and have court experience.
36.5hrs per week. There may be a requirement to work outside these hours.
Flexibility to travel overseas to represent the UK at international forums.
Interviews will take place week commencing 13th June 2022
Successful applicants will be required to pass Management Vetting and Security Clearance scrutiny prior to commencing their role, this will include a full background & financial disclosure as part of the vetting process.
Appointment to this role will be dependent upon successfully medical checks, which may include a drugs test and if required a fitness test.
For further information please contact Esther Martin [email protected]
West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader – the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of West Midlands Police commitment West Midlands Police operate a ‘Disability Confident Interview Scheme’ – all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be offered an interview.
It is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practicable or appropriate to interview all disabled people who meet the essential criteria for the job. For example: in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. In these circumstances, the employer could select the candidates who best meet the essential criteria for the job, as they would do for non-disabled applicants.
“Diversity and Inclusion Vision: Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for West Midlands Police communities”
Applicants from underrepresented groups should contact the line manager for additional information and support.
- Salary £57,261 - £62,463 per annum
- Job Type Full Time
- Map Location Birmingham
- Category Engineering & Science
- Posted 1 month ago