Custody Officer Assistantin Birmingham, West Midlands
Are you a motivated and enthusiastic individual who enjoys working in a busy and challenging environment.
Do you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills?
West Midlands Police are recruiting Custody Officer Assistants on a 18 month fixed term contract with the strong possibility to progress to a permanent contract on successful completion of the mandatory Customer Care level 3 apprenticeships, which would begin 3 months from the date of employment.
Custody Officer Assistants support the Custody Sergeant in delivering a safe and secure environment for those detained in connection with a wide variety of criminal matters.
Custody Officer Assistants perform a wide range of tasks including:
- Conducting timely welfare checks on detainees
- Taking fingerprints, photographs and DNA samples
- Supporting investigating officers
- Maintenance of computer records, preparing documentation and filing
- Utilise computer systems
- Observation of detainees
- Prepare and issue food and drink to detainees
- Communicate with internal colleagues and external agencies via email, telephone and in person
West Midlands Police are recruiting to West Midlands Police custody team to meet the operational demands of the 24/7 custody environment. As part of your role you will be required to work weekends and bank holidays: allowances will be paid where appropriate.
To apply, you will have experience of working well under your own initiative and as part of a team. You will be able to remain calm and deliver the role in a pressured environment. You will also be a confident decision maker with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
In addition you will:
- Be 18 years or over
- Have a full driving licence
- Have a minimum of GCSE grade C or GCSE grade 4 (the new numeric grading) or a level 2 in English and Maths or an equivalents
- Be computer literate
- Be able to write in a clear, concise and accurate manner
- Be helpful and compassionate
- Be prepared, with support, to work in a team environment which can be unpleasant and aggressive
- Willing to complete customer care level 3 Apprenticeship programme
Once you start the Custody Officer Assistant role you will attend a training course based in Birmingham for the first 4 weeks of your employment (Mon – Fri 08:00 – 16:00). The course will include aspects of legislation, policy, first aid, personal safety and ICT systems.
Due to the nature of the role, preferred candidates will be required to complete and pass security vetting checks and undertake a medical examination.
Flexibility is required as you may be deployed to a custody suite anywhere within the West Midlands Police force area at short notice.
What’s in it for you?
West Midlands Police’re able to offer you a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
- Access to a Corporate Health Cash Plan and wellbeing website
- The opportunity to save on travel costs through a Corporate Travel Scheme
- The option to join a generous Local Government pension scheme
- A uniform
Diversity and Inclusion Vision: “Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for West Midlands Police communities”
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader – the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of West Midlands Police commitment West Midlands Police operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme – all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be guaranteed an interview.
- Salary £20,274 - £21,876 per annum
- Job Type Contractual
- Map Location Birmingham
- Category Protective Services
- Posted 1 month ago